[kde-edu]: [Avogadro-devel] Needed some clarifications in Kalzium

Louis Ricard louis.ricard at polytechnique.edu
Fri Jul 24 19:18:17 CEST 2009

Hi all.

The term "shapely colors" is exactly what you cite from Rasmol.
It has nothing to do with shape and is a coloring convention
that a biochemist would probably recognize.

> Linus Östberg wrote:
>> I'm not in any way related to Kalzium, but involved in biomedical
>> research.
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 6:37 PM, Orestes Mas <orestes at tsc.upc.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I've some doubts regarding the translation of some english words /
>>> expressions in Kalzium, and need further clarification by the
>>> developers:
>>>
>>> 1) What exactly do you mean with "Shapely Colors"? (i.e. the
>>> meaning of adverb "shapely" applied to colors)
>>>

>> I believe it's named that way since that's how it's named in rasmol.
>> In my opinion it should be kept that way in order to keep consistency
>> with other applications with equal functionality.
>>
>> "The RasMol shapely color scheme color codes residues by amino acid
>> property. This scheme is based upon Bob Fletterick's "Shapely
>> Models".
>> Each amino acid and nucleic acid residue is given a unique color. The
>> shapely color scheme is used by David Bacon's Raster3D program [4].
>> This color scheme is similar to the amino color scheme. Shapely can
>> be
>> selected from the RasMol Colours menu."
>> http://life.nthu.edu.tw/~fmhsu/rasframe/COLORS.HTM#shapelycolors

The following is inexact in Avogadro: the translation reads as
'Couleurs "shapely" '
and was also endorsed by my fellow Benoît Jacob. Any other translation
is in my
opinion false and misleading: the one proposed a few hours ago in
kalzium,
"Couleurs galbées" is alltogether wrong.

>>> 3) If my beliefs concerning (2) are true, then may be (1) is
>>> related to the way amino-acids are colored in a molecule, so in
>>> this case may be "Shapely Colors" should change to something more
>>> clear as "According to shape".
>>> "Shapely colors" is so misleading that translation teams are
>>> translating this in very creative ways: French translation is
>>> something like "lathed colors", and spanish one is "Well-formed
>>> colors"...
>>>

>> As mentioned, I think the current naming should be kept. I have no
>> idea how to translate it though.
>>

> I agree with Linus here.

Sometimes, shop talk is untranslatable.

Louis