[kde-edu]: gps interface/daemon/spec for kde/gnome

Torsten Rahn rahn at kde.org
Wed Jan 7 10:53:19 CET 2009

On Wednesday 07 January 2009 01:24:52 you wrote:
> i checked the GeoClue code for the dependency on gconf, and it's
> really nothing (get's only one key (/apps/geoclue/master) from gconf -
> that's it) .

Great :-)

> so it should be no big deal to send a patch in. the other thing is:
> would it be a problem to depend on geoclue ? it's a freedesktop spec
> though...

Well, does geoclue depend on other (gtk/gnome/?) stuff? If not I'd say that
it's not a problem at all.

> when i'll get my gps device tomorrow, the first thing i would try to
> work on is the automatic detection of the gps device by solid . what
> do you think ?

Well at least for Marble I'm not keen on having a strong KDE dependency for
this kind of thing.

But maybe I understand things wrongly: if it would be possible to create a
solid backend that acts as a GeoClue "Master" (or whatever it was called) so
that one could choose from different GeoClue fdo implementations that would
sound like a good thing to me.

Torsten