[kde-edu]: inclusion of MathematiK in kdeedu

Alexander Rieder alexanderrieder at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 20:44:46 CEST 2009

On Monday 24 August 2009 12:29:44 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Friday, 2009-08-21, Alexander Rieder wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > For the last months I've been coding on an application in Playground
> > called MathematiK(but I'm open for better name suggestions). It's a
> > frontend for other free software mathematics projects, giving them a nice
> > KDE-based Worksheet view like Maple or Mathematica offer. Lately it has
> > matured quite a bit, so I decided to ask you for inclusion into the KDE
> > Edu 4.4 release, it's not perfect yet, but following the "release early,
> > release often" philosophy I'm really looking forward to get more people
> > testing it. How do you think about this? What are the steps I have to
> > make to get MathematiK included?
>
> Of course this is totally up to you, but I would recommend thinking about a
> different name before inclusion.
>
> One thing is that KDE programs in general moved away from highlighting K
> somewhere within the name by uppercasing it, because people never get this
> right when writing about it.
>
> Another thing is that it is extremely close to one of the competitor's
>  name.
>
> Maybe there is some famous mathematician with K initials or a mathematic
> technique (similar to the product that it named "Derive")

I see, the name MathematiK was at first only chosen as a working title, as I
totally suck at naming. The only other names I could come up with are:
- Kauchy, after Augustin-Louis Cauchy
- Cantor, after Georg Cantor
- Kronecker, after Leopold Kronecker
- or Konvergenz which is the german word for convergence

I really hope somebody can give me a hint on how to call this thing.

Bye,
Alexander