[kde-edu]: About KDE Marble

Torsten Rahn rahn at kde.org
Thu Sep 25 15:17:44 CEST 2008

On Thursday 25 September 2008 14:33:56 Patrick Spendrin wrote:
> kmz is only a gzipped version of kml so if you would really need to open
> it the only way currently possible would be to gunzip it and then send
> open it with marble.

Small nitpick: The only way currently possible is using unzip ("pkunzip").
That's also the reason why Marble currently only offers kml support and not
kmz:
libz (which provides gzip support) doesn't deal with the pkzip format hence
there is no such support inside Qt.
I'd like to avoid a dependency (even a soft one) on libraries that are rarely
installed. So currently the most simple (and admittedly ugly way) to add the
feature of kmz support would probably be to execute the "unzip" command using
QProcess. :-/