[kde-edu]: About KDE Marble

Patrick Spendrin ps_ml at gmx.de
Thu Sep 25 14:33:56 CEST 2008

Francisco Javier schrieb:
> Hi KDE-Edu team and users,
>
> I think Marble is really amazing! and I would like to know if you are
> planning to somehow include the import of kmz files in future versions.
kmz is only a gzipped version of kml so if you would really need to open
it the only way currently possible would be to gunzip it and then send
open it with marble.

> Particularly, I was able to open a kml file with a single point location
> but I wasn't success opening a gridded map generated with IDV (version
> 2.5). This same map can be displayed in Google Earth (for Linux), which
> also displays animated images (sequence of maps) in kmz format (also
> generated using IDV). However, I can't get the gridded map when trying
> to open any of these files (either kml or kmz) using Marble (version 0.6
> in a Mandriva 2008.0 with kernel 2.6.22.19, i686 IntelCore)
Neither of those two features are implemented in marble yet and I am not
really sure that those two special features are on two list next;-).
But in general I am currently working on improving the kml support,
these changes will be included in the next KDE release(4.2) and the next
marble release(0.7 if I am correct) too.
But you should be aware that I am still far away from Google Earth (I
currently have ~1/3 of the tags that a kml file could contain, Marble
0.6 has even less).

> Any suggestion / hint?
If you want to follow the development you need to simply follow the
compilation instructions on the http://edu.kde.org/marble page, if you
want to help with development just join the marble-team (either here, on
the marble-devel at kde.org mailing list or on irc at the channel #kde-edu)

> Thanks in advance
regards,
Patrick