[kde-edu]: Dylon: New developer in training (Dylon Edwards)

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Sat Dec 27 01:54:35 CET 2008

KFormula is for drawing expressions and it is good as it is.

Maybe you want to use kformula in your app, which is something different (as
kalgebra does and will do even more).

2008/12/26 Dylon Edwards <integr8e at gmail.com>

> Thanks for the welcome!  I didn't know about mathGUIde, I'll definitely
> check into it; wxMaxima isn't really what I'm looking for.
>
> I thought about the KOffice approach, in that they may be interested in
> changing KFormula into more of a WYSIWYG, MathML-based CAS (since it would
> allow for both the creation and solution of expressions), which would be
> awesome for writing math papers; I couldn't decide, however, whether my
> project would be a better compliment for an office or educational suite,
> because it really complements both.  As you suggested, maybe they would be
> interested in creating a Maxima flake, or improving their current one, that
> could be used in both KFormula and my application, and would allow for a
> symbiotic relationship between the two.  They could use it to generate
> non-interactive formulas to insert in KOffice apps, and I could use it to
> enhance the user experience of mine; we would both improve it to better our
> projects.  Despite which direction I decide to go, I would like to create a
> technology that could, and would, be used in any application ... maybe even
> a mathematical API that would implement various backends, such as the
> multimedia services Phonon provides.

Well, the flake should be made anyway imho, so maybe you could do it first
for maxima and then abstract it.

> Anyway, I have a lot to learn and think about before I can bring my
> application to fruition, but I will definitely be working on it.  Would any
> of you be interested in a WYSIWYG, MathML-based CAS (frontend)?

Not really, but will follow your steps, maybe we could create a kalgebra
backend. it would be pretty straightforward since kalgebra already does
MathML.