[kde-edu]: KVTML files for Mandarin Chinese

Ilja iljuss at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 12:33:02 CEST 2007

Sorry for ruining this thread.

>> Data files page [0] seems quite outdated and unmaintained.
> Not at all, it is not! How can it be "outdated"? And unmaintained? I regularly
> add contributions here and they are also available via KNewStuff for KWordQuiz.
> Have a look at svn history please before stating this.
Well, I tried to say, that it _seems_ such (like
doesn't-look-too-good, an emotion) to me,
maybe because I'm not-so involved. And maybe to other first time
visitors of that page.

>> KWordQuiz isn't under active development anymore, and supports only 2
>> columns, so it isn't always suitable.)
> KWordQuiz is maintained!
Well, the most important thing I tried to say, is that it is quite
unlikely, that it will support more columns in near future.

>> Please open another discussion to make your proposals as I don't
see them here.
Well:
> I think that these data files (plus Language and Test
> Preparation from [0]) could be provided on Parleys, not on project-wide webpage:

>> Teachers, students,... in real life will still use KVocTrain from
KDE 3 for at
>> least 1 year, maybe 2. We must keep the kvtml1 files for those users.
Yes, I meant, that only _some_ files could be merged, and most files could
be provided in kvtml1:
>(Additionally it should be quite possible to keep most of files compatible
>with KVocTrain.)

>> (Kanagram and KHangMan are more aimed for fun (or children), so for its
>> users test preparation stuff is most likely unimportant.
> Yes but other files that are there were sent for KHangMan, like some chemical
> files.
I was only talking about files associated with language learning. But how
it is possible to open these chemical files using KHangMan (or Kanagam)?
Since there isn't any "open file" option, only way is to get them is to
use KHotNewStuff?

So providing them on that webpage is basically useless for _KHangMan_
 (and Kanagram, what also lacks that "open file" support) users.

And when to provide these data files, maybe it would make more sense to
provide them separately to each application? Make such page also for KWordQuiz?
Would be much more understandable for users of each application.

> The only thing that is to sort out is to separate kvtml2 files which is
> something that we are looking into doing.
kvtml2 files could be provided as a subsection of that data files page.

> Again, the website needs some work and I do not have the time to do it. If you
> want you can rearrange all that stuff, there's no special knowledge needed.
Yes, I'm trying to start from somewhere..