[kde-edu]: KVTML files for Mandarin Chinese

annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr
Sat Oct 13 08:55:57 CEST 2007

Quoting Ilja <iljuss at gmail.com>:

> Maybe a bit off topic, but what I think about data files:
>
> Data files page [0] seems quite outdated and unmaintained.

Not at all, it is not! How can it be "outdated"? And unmaintained? I regularly
add contributions here and they are also available via KNewStuff for KWordQuiz.
Have a look at svn history please before stating this.

> Using Parley lesson support (and kvtml2) it would be possible to merge
> some files from there (esp. anatomy) into larger ones, making files more
> useful. (10 entries per file is too little, I think)
>
> (Additionally it should be quite possible to keep most of files compatible
> with KVocTrain.)
> Since Parley is the only application, that is aimed for serious
> language learning, I think that these data files (plus Language and Test
> Preparation from [0]) could be provided on Parleys, not on project-wide
> webpage:
No application is more "serious" than another, they all have their purpose and
they were all designed to answer a need.

> (Kanagram and KHangMan are more aimed for fun (or children), so for its
> users test preparation stuff is most likely unimportant.
Yes but other files that are there were sent for KHangMan, like some chemical
files.
> KWordQuiz isn't under active development anymore, and supports only 2
> columns, so it isn't always suitable.)
KWordQuiz is maintained!
> (these chinese files have 3 "columns", so Parley/KVocTrain is the only
> application they can be functionally used with, anyway)
>
> What do others think about it?
I think you make your own conclusions based on false assumptions.

The only thing that is to sort out is to separate kvtml2 files which is
something that we are looking into doing.

Something you must be aware of: Parley is not out yet,it is for KDE 4.0, that
means no "real" users use it yet.
Teachers, students,... in real life will still use KVocTrain from KDE 3 for at
least 1 year, maybe 2. We must keep the kvtml1 files for those users.

Please open another discussion to make your proposals as I don't see them here.

Again, the website needs some work and I do not have the time to do it. If you
want you can rearrange all that stuff, there's no special knowledge needed.

Best regards,

Anne-Marie