[kde-edu]: KVTML files for Mandarin Chinese

Anne-Marie Mahfouf annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr
Sun Oct 14 21:45:00 CEST 2007

Le Saturday 13 October 2007 12:33:02 Ilja, vous avez écrit :
> Sorry for ruining this thread.
>
> >> Data files page [0] seems quite outdated and unmaintained.
> >
> > Not at all, it is not! How can it be "outdated"? And unmaintained? I
> > regularly add contributions here and they are also available via
> > KNewStuff for KWordQuiz. Have a look at svn history please before stating
> > this.
>
> Well, I tried to say, that it _seems_ such (like
> doesn't-look-too-good, an emotion) to me,
> maybe because I'm not-so involved. And maybe to other first time
> visitors of that page.
Please then make some concrete proposals.
> >> KWordQuiz isn't under active development anymore, and supports only 2
> >> columns, so it isn't always suitable.)
> >
> > KWordQuiz is maintained!
>
> Well, the most important thing I tried to say, is that it is quite
> unlikely, that it will support more columns in near future.
>
> >> Please open another discussion to make your proposals as I don't
>
> see them here.
>
> Well:
> > I think that these data files (plus Language and Test
> >
> > Preparation from [0]) could be provided on Parleys, not on project-wide
webpage:
> >> Teachers, students,... in real life will still use KVocTrain from
>
> KDE 3 for at
>
> >> least 1 year, maybe 2. We must keep the kvtml1 files for those users.
>
> Yes, I meant, that only _some_ files could be merged, and most files could
>
> be provided in kvtml1:
> >(Additionally it should be quite possible to keep most of files compatible
> >with KVocTrain.)
> >
> >> (Kanagram and KHangMan are more aimed for fun (or children), so for its
> >> users test preparation stuff is most likely unimportant.
> >
> > Yes but other files that are there were sent for KHangMan, like some
> > chemical files.
>
> I was only talking about files associated with language learning. But how
> it is possible to open these chemical files using KHangMan (or Kanagam)?
> Since there isn't any "open file" option, only way is to get them is to
> use KHotNewStuff?
>
> So providing them on that webpage is basically useless for _KHangMan_
>  (and Kanagram, what also lacks that "open file" support) users.
No as once there are installed for KWordQuiz they also appear in the
KHangMan "Category" menu.
Again, this is all new and will have to be tested with real users on KDE 4.0
then refined.
> And when to provide these data files, maybe it would make more sense to
> provide them separately to each application? Make such page also for
> KWordQuiz? Would be much more understandable for users of each application.
No, the important thing to consider (and the kvtml2 goal) is to share as much
data as possible.
> > The only thing that is to sort out is to separate kvtml2 files which is
> > something that we are looking into doing.
>
> kvtml2 files could be provided as a subsection of that data files page.
No, that does not seem so good considering the data already there and the data
that will come.
> > Again, the website needs some work and I do not have the time to do it.
> > If you want you can rearrange all that stuff, there's no special
> > knowledge needed.
>
> Yes, I'm trying to start from somewhere..
So we're waiting for you!

It's better to start a new discussion instead of highjacking an existing one
when you get OT.
Thanks in advance for your proposals,

Anne-Marie