[kde-edu]: kvtml files - installation dir

Jeremy Whiting jeremy at scitools.com
Wed May 23 04:01:09 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 22 May 2007 01:09:01 pm Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I noticed that when you use KNewStuff to install files in KVocTrain or
> KWordQuiz, the installed files are not "seen" by other app (i.e. KVoctrain
> cannot use KWordQuiz files).
>
> Jeremy Whiting, who already worked on Kanagram svg is kindly debugging
> Kanagram with me. Kanagram also uses .kvtml files.
>
> So we ended up thinking that it would be easier to have all .kvtml in the
> same place which would be $KDEDIR/share/kvtml for data shipped with apps
> and .kde/share/kvtml for local installation (via KNewStuff for ex). We'll
> use the kvtml features to sort files by language for example for KHangMan
> which has a Languages menu.
>
> What are your thoughts about that idea?
> Is $KDEDIR/share/kvtml a good location (KStandardDirs problems?)
> Any other potential problems?
>
> Regards,
>
> Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie, All,

Wish I could remember who, but someone mentioned on irc after you left that
KDEDIR/share/apps/kvtml would be fine, since apps is for all app data, even
shared data (e.g. KDEDIR/share/apps/LICENCES).  This also has the advantage
of working well with KStandardDirs::locate("data","kvtml");

Jeremy