[kde-edu]: edu apps review

Anne-Marie Mahfouf annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr
Thu May 17 17:45:38 CEST 2007

On Thursday 17 May 2007 14:44:34 jos poortvliet wrote:
> Op Thursday 17 May 2007, schreef Agustin Benito:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > read carefully this e-mail because I think it would be great that
> > somebody tells the Edubuntu guys info about kde-edu apps in order to be
> > included in future edubuntu releases and have info about your great job
> > in their web. In UDS we talked about making a general research of edu
> > apps and it looks like Edubuntu wants to do such a think.
>
> Not sure if it would help to tell them about KDE-edu, as they already know
> about it, and they just don't like KDE applications for mostly political
> reasons, at least - that's how it seems to me. They rather ship a worse
> educational cd than include KDE apps.

yes and all my attempts to talk with them and work with them failed. We need a
stronger KDE promotion of KDE-Edu for a start.

As I understand it from talking with one of the Edubuntu people, they will
ship 2 CDs next release and KDE-Edu and GCompris will be on the second one.
What KDE-Edu apps? Not sure. They seem to pick some at random that's why we
need to work with them so they know that for example KLettres has data in
several languages. We need to know how we can improve some things so it's
easier for them to package.
I contacted them several time whith those propositions, I submitted a talk to
Seville, I sent the organizer an email telling him that, I invited them to
FOSDEM then to aKademy, I am subscribed to their mailing list. Yet they never
talked with me.

So anyone who has contact with *buntu people can try to make them see KDE-Edu
not as the evil KDE-based apps but as a useful suite of educational software.

Anne-Marie