[kde-edu]: Icons should be installed to CrystalSVG theme ?

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Tue May 16 22:20:55 CEST 2006

On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 10:07:33PM +0200, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > I'm following a thread on k-c-d[1], in which they are discussing
> > icon-related stuff.  One of the points raised in that discussion by
> > Jonathan Ridell and confirmed by David Faure:  All KDE apps (meaning
> > apps stored on the KDE SVN server) should install their icons to the
> > CrystalSVG theme.  The "hicolor" theme is only to be used by third-party
> > app developers.

Yes, icons used by applications distributed with KDE should be in
crystalsvg.  However there's an exception for the icons for the
applications themselves as used in .desktop files which appear in the
k-menu, these need to be found by other desktops for use in their
application menus, so they need to be in hicolour which all desktop
environments know to look in.

> > In KDE-Edu, we install many of our icons to hicolor[2].  I propose to
> > install all of our icons to CrystalSVG, to follow the spec.  I believe
> > this simply involves renaming all icon files from hi*.png to cr*.png
> > (does anyone know differently?).  I am willing to do this.  Any discussion?

Yes that correct.  Except for icons used in the application's XDG
.desktop menu files, which need to be in hicolour.

> So Riddell himself moved all kde from cr to hi, is he asking to move them
> back?
> come on....

No.

Jonathan