[kde-edu]: Proposed KmPlot UI

RalfGesellensetter rgx at gmx.de
Wed Mar 29 00:25:30 CEST 2006

Hi David,

thanks for the fast reply. I will try to echo ;)

Am Mittwoch, 29. März 2006 00:12 schrieb David Saxton:
> > thanks for your fine proposal, looks promising! I just wonder if you can
> > squeeze all types of graphs/functions into the same system.
>
> Most definitely can! :) The function type shown in the screenshot was the
> hardest to cram neatly into a small space; the others have far less stuff
> to control.

I meant "squeaze" in a figural way. Polar functions might need different types
of coordinate systems.

> > With polar
> > coordinates one might wish to have a corresponding grid layout if you
> > know what I mean (radial). This could be an addition to the coordinate
> > systems you provide (I would name them after quadrants maybe).
>
> Do you mean having a plot where the angle is a function of the radius?

Vice versa: r = f(phi)

> > The main tool bar could also bear buttons for printing/export: Teachers
> > are gratefull when they can plot/print graphs in a fixed ratio (1 unit =
> > 1 cm).
>
> Good idea (although I wasn't thinking about toolbars in the screenshot). I
> think the "Coordinate System 2,3" could also be removed (although still
> present in the View menu), and just have "Coordinate System 1" as a
> quick-reset action.

Yes, the coordinate types could also be put in a combobox

> > Last point: Entering function terms could be eased by providing allowed
> > operators/variables in a toolbox. On the other hand. Abakus strenghts is
> > to leave away the buttons kcalc has.
>
> Good ideas :) I like Abakus' syntax highlighting (although it would be
> nicer if the equation entry box in Abakus had intelligent deleting of terms
> when doing Ctrl+Backspace).

Didn't know this  - avoid ALT key then ;)

> A toolbox could be implemented as a "function-editing" dialog, containing
> predefined functions and constants. This would leave the main editing
> clutter-free, unless the user wanted to use a toolbox...

Right. I also consider pupils' difficulties with characters like "*" for
multiplication or "^" for potentation. I am afraid there is no better way
unless you render TeX equations on the fly - but offering corresponding keys
could be a real step towards pupils. Current pocket calculators display
square root and exponents in a propper manner BTW.

> Integration with KFormula would also be cool, and would achieve a similar
> effect.

Is the the formula editor of koffice? Hard to do (also with dependencies) I
fear. Or? Some people also wish a algebraic section (like with d'rive), but
kmplot strengths is also its straight forwardness..

regards
ralf