[kde-edu]: Proposed KmPlot UI

David Saxton david at bluehaze.org
Wed Mar 29 00:12:19 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 28 March 2006 22:46, RalfGesellensetter wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 28. März 2006 23:37 schrieb David Saxton:
> > I've been working on a slightly modified KmPlot interface, and I'm
> > looking for suggestions, objections, etc, before I commit any large
> > chunks of code...
>
> Hi David,
>
> thanks for your fine proposal, looks promising! I just wonder if you can
> squeeze all types of graphs/functions into the same system.
Most definitely can! :) The function type shown in the screenshot was the
hardest to cram neatly into a small space; the others have far less stuff to
control.

> With polar
> coordinates one might wish to have a corresponding grid layout if you know
> what I mean (radial). This could be an addition to the coordinate systems
> you provide (I would name them after quadrants maybe).
Do you mean having a plot where the angle is a function of the radius?

> The main tool bar could also bear buttons for printing/export: Teachers are
> gratefull when they can plot/print graphs in a fixed ratio (1 unit = 1 cm).
Good idea (although I wasn't thinking about toolbars in the screenshot). I
think the "Coordinate System 2,3" could also be removed (although still
present in the View menu), and just have "Coordinate System 1" as a
quick-reset action.

> Last point: Entering function terms could be eased by providing allowed
> operators/variables in a toolbox. On the other hand. Abakus strenghts is to
> leave away the buttons kcalc has.
Good ideas :) I like Abakus' syntax highlighting (although it would be nicer
if the equation entry box in Abakus had intelligent deleting of terms when
doing Ctrl+Backspace).

A toolbox could be implemented as a "function-editing" dialog, containing
predefined functions and constants. This would leave the main editing
clutter-free, unless the user wanted to use a toolbox...

Integration with KFormula would also be cool, and would achieve a similar
effect.