[kde-edu]: Proposed KmPlot UI

David Saxton david at bluehaze.org
Wed Mar 29 00:38:09 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 28 March 2006 23:25, RalfGesellensetter wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> thanks for the fast reply. I will try to echo ;)
I think you won the first time with a reply within 9 minutes ;)

> Am Mittwoch, 29. März 2006 00:12 schrieb David Saxton:
>
> > > thanks for your fine proposal, looks promising! I just wonder if you
> > > can squeeze all types of graphs/functions into the same system.
> >
> > Most definitely can! :) The function type shown in the screenshot was the
> > hardest to cram neatly into a small space; the others have far less stuff
> > to control.
>
> I meant "squeaze" in a figural way. Polar functions might need different
> types of coordinate systems.

Ah, the widgets underneath change depending on the type of function selected
(e.g. see http://www.bluehaze.org/~david/polar.png).

> > A toolbox could be implemented as a "function-editing" dialog, containing
> > predefined functions and constants. This would leave the main editing
> > clutter-free, unless the user wanted to use a toolbox...
>
> Right. I also consider pupils' difficulties with characters like "*" for
> multiplication or "^" for potentation. I am afraid there is no better way
> unless you render TeX equations on the fly - but offering corresponding
> keys could be a real step towards pupils. Current pocket calculators
> display square root and exponents in a propper manner BTW.
>
> > Integration with KFormula would also be cool, and would achieve a similar
> > effect.
>
> Is the the formula editor of koffice? Hard to do (also with dependencies) I
> fear. Or? Some people also wish a algebraic section (like with d'rive), but
> kmplot strengths is also its straight forwardness..

KmPlot would stick with its line edit for formulas, and could have a button at
the right end of the line edit which popups up an equation editor - it could
either be kformula if installed, or a custom one which has buttons for
inserting a square-root or a power "^" symbol.