[kde-edu]: Project Promotion...

Joshua Keel jkeel546 at students.bju.edu
Fri Sep 9 15:21:37 CEST 2005

Hey,

On Friday 09 September 2005 09:08 am, Danny Allen wrote:
> I have several ideas in my mind for promotion of our
> efforts and applications. One of these is to create a
> supplimental website, which would act as a friendly,
> brochure-type information site for
> parents/teachers/etc.
>
> I feel that the current site at edu.kde.org is too
> technical, cluttered, and "corporate" (due to kde.org
> guidelines and theming), therefore unsuitable for this
> role. I will take responsibility for creating the
> content (with help from app authors) and image of this
> site.

I think the edu.kde.org site is cluttered as well. We need a site that doesn't
look like it belongs to a corporation, and maybe we also need some more
interactivity. Currently, there's not much you can do at edu.kde.org. I think
encouraging a community atmosphere is important for attracting contributors
and promoting kdeedu to the general user base. I'm not sure exactly how the
site should change to be more interactive, but I'm considering things like a
web-based vocabulary browser/downloader for KHangman/Kanagram, maybe an
upload page for adding vocabularies to the archive, etc. I'd be happy to hear
other people's ideas on this.

> Here
> (http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/4074/page5small1lo.png)
> is a mockup of an application page on the
> site - it is planned to roughly resemble this.
>
> The site may also provide a solution for our hosting
> of small khotstuff data files.

Yup. I still think that should be a temporary solution, though. KDE in general
needs its own server, and we need to make this happen for KDE4.

--
Joshua Keel
Code is poetry.