[kde-edu]: Ideas for a Visual Dictionary

David Cuenca dacuetu at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 12:55:00 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I came across with a Visual Dictionary (
http://www.oup.co.uk/isbn/0-19-863145-6?view=ask) that I've found very
useful for learning English words in context and, as I cared for it a lot,
I'd like to suggest an application for taking advantage of this system. A
sample of the inspiration book can be found here:
http://www.oup.co.uk/pdf/0-19-860623-0.pdf

Intended audience
-------------------------
- Language students (for learning new words)
- Medical students (there're a lot of bones to remember...)
- Biologists (cell parts, etc, etc)
- etc...

Available sources
-----------------------
Although exists an online visual dictionary (http://www.infovisual.info/),
it has copyright, however can be used as a source of inspiration or perhaps
it's possible arrange a partnership with the author. Otherwise, the artwork
should be created from scratch or retrieved from free sources (Wikipedia,
Open Clipart Library...).

Suggestion list
---------------
Depending on the complexity level wanted or the programmer's ability, here
are a few suggestions:
Basic:
- Static dictionary. Only displays a picture and a default set of words,
probably loaded from a file for enabling localization support. Maybe the
arrows and the position of the words should be included in a (editable)
file.
- Language can be switched.

Medium:
- Users can choose the vocabulary complexity. This is, each word has its own
level. For example, for a body picture: L0:"body" (title), L1: "arms, legs,
chest, head", L2: "knee, heel, elbow, neck, etc.", and so on. The user can
select between different modes: "show only current level words", "show
current and lower levels", etc.
- The user is quizzed about the diagram/picture. Different modes: a) the
user drag the word from a list to its right position; b) there's a text-box
and the user has to type in the word; c) letters are scrabbled for each word
and the user has to write them correctly; d) only the first letter appears;
e) the word appears in one language and has to be written in another one;
the options are endless...
- The app keeps track of the scores, frequently failed words, etc. and maybe
question the user again about the failed topics or words.

Advanced:
- Synonymous support (very useful, i.e. for creating a unified USA/UK
English file).
- Wikipedia access for the topic or word. The option for looking up a word
into a definition/translation dictionary wouldn't go amiss.
- Text to speech on request/automatic maybe using KTTS. This can be used for
listening quizzes.
- Auto-update from the net.
- Animations and eye-candy features.
- 3d model support (well, maybe I'm asking too much :)

I have very little programming knowledge but I reckon the basic app could be
a child's play for an experienced developer. Please, tell me what do you
think about it, and if someone wants to take the challenge.

Thanks,
David