[kde-edu]: Report Bug action

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Mon Sep 5 13:37:17 CEST 2005

Hello,

On Monday 05 September 2005 17:04, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> A Dilluns 05 Setembre 2005 15:04, Anne-Marie Mahfouf va escriure:
> > Hi,
> >
> > BlinKen and Kanagram both don't have a Report bug menu item and it's
> > impossible to issue bug reports using the web interface. It's slow and
> > more, it gives a 500 internal server error in the middle of the process.
> > I had it tried by someone else and he could not get through either. Thus
> > the Report Bug action must be present in the interface in my opinion to
> > allow bugs to be issued.
>
> Having the button there will not make it work, the button only opens
> konqueror on bugs.kde.org.

I don't understand this response.  All KDE apps are supposed to have a "Report
Bug..." option that launches the Bug Report wizard.  KDE has a standard
action for this, so it's very easy to add.

> > The issues I found in Kanagram yesterday:
> > - KNewStuff action should be removed if not used
> > - Chalk font install does not work -> remove it if it is not possible to
> > install it
>
> It works here so can you try to be a good bug reporter and not a sucky one?

(a) annma is not a "bug reporter", she is the maintainer of the kdeedu module,
and as such, it is her job to look after the quality of all Edu apps.  She's
trying to do you a favor, so try not to be an ass about it, okay?

(b) Traditionally, fellow developers can and do report problems directly to
the ML rather than filing a bug, *especially* when we are close to a release
and the problem is one that should be fixed prior to release.  For the
record, I confirm annma's bug: after installing the chalk font, it is not
being used when I restart kanagram.

In the same vein: I have attached a patch that fixes a compile error in
kanagramgame.cpp: you can't send a QString argument to i18n().  I am posting
it to the edu ML rather than filing a bug so that the kanagram devs can deal
with it more quickly.

> > - there are no API comments and no comments in the code which makes it
> > difficult to interfeer with it
>
> Same as all kde code, this as never been a requirement for adding code into
> kde

No, it's not a "requirement", but it's good practice to comment code,
especially open-source code...especially KDE code.

Jason

--
KStars: KDE Planetarium
http://edu.kde.org/kstars