[kde-edu]: Report Bug action

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Mon Sep 5 21:11:17 CEST 2005

A Dilluns 05 Setembre 2005 13:37, Jason Harris va escriure:
> Hello,
>
> On Monday 05 September 2005 17:04, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > A Dilluns 05 Setembre 2005 15:04, Anne-Marie Mahfouf va escriure:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > BlinKen and Kanagram both don't have a Report bug menu item and it's
> > > impossible to issue bug reports using the web interface. It's slow and
> > > more, it gives a 500 internal server error in the middle of the
> > > process. I had it tried by someone else and he could not get through
> > > either. Thus the Report Bug action must be present in the interface in
> > > my opinion to allow bugs to be issued.
> >
> > Having the button there will not make it work, the button only opens
> > konqueror on bugs.kde.org.
>
> I don't understand this response.  All KDE apps are supposed to have a
> "Report Bug..." option that launches the Bug Report wizard.  KDE has a
> standard action for this, so it's very easy to add.

No it is not, have you looked at the UI of that apps?

Anyway the response is quite clear, annma says she can not report bugs because
the web interface does not work and i say that even if we add the report bug
button it will not work because it uses the web interface.

> > > The issues I found in Kanagram yesterday:
> > > - KNewStuff action should be removed if not used
> > > - Chalk font install does not work -> remove it if it is not possible
> > > to install it
> >
> > It works here so can you try to be a good bug reporter and not a sucky
> > one?
>
> (a) annma is not a "bug reporter",
but she was acting like one, a bad one.

> she is the maintainer of the kdeedu module, and as such, it is her job to
> look after the quality of all Edu apps.  She's trying to do you a favor,
Not me, if you look at the credits of kanagram i'm not there.

> so try not to be an ass about it, okay?
>
> (b) Traditionally, fellow developers can and do report problems directly to
> the ML rather than filing a bug, *especially* when we are close to a
> release and the problem is one that should be fixed prior to release.  For
> the record, I confirm annma's bug: after installing the chalk font, it is
> not being used when I restart kanagram.
Probably because you have the [x] Use standard box checked and annma says "It
is not possible to install it" that is different from your problem.
If you have the [x] Use standard box checked it is because you had a older
config that users will not have so it will work, but can be easily fixed so
people with older configs has the same effect.

> In the same vein: I have attached a patch that fixes a compile error in
> kanagramgame.cpp: you can't send a QString argument to i18n().  I am
> posting it to the edu ML rather than filing a bug so that the kanagram devs
> can deal with it more quickly.
Hmmm, have you or anyone else commited the fix? The code i have is

void KanagramGame::checkFile()
{
        if (!QFile::exists(locate("appdata", m_filename))) {
                QString msg = i18n("File %1 cannot be found.\n Please ensure
that Kanagram is properly installed.")
                  .arg(m_filename);
                KMessageBox::sorry(m_parent, msg, i18n("Error"));
                exit(0);
        }
}

> > > - there are no API comments and no comments in the code which makes it
> > > difficult to interfeer with it
> >
> > Same as all kde code, this as never been a requirement for adding code
> > into kde
>
> No, it's not a "requirement", but it's good practice to comment code,
> especially open-source code...especially KDE code.

Yes.

Albert