[kde-edu]: KDE Edu & KDE4

Noel Bush noel at x-31.com
Thu Aug 11 05:13:11 CEST 2005

Speaking as an outsider to the whole ethos, culture, worldview,
paradigm, what-have-you of the world of KDE -- that is, from the point
of view of a person who just looks for applications that I want to use
-- I have always found it immensely weird that all these applications
get globbed together in these huge bundles.  At times that I've had to
deal with low bandwidth, it's basically kept me from staying up to date.
  At times when I've wanted one particular app, and have been forced to
download 15 others at the same time, it's been pretty annoying.

And thinking from the point of view of an application developer, I can't
imagine why it would be pleasing to have the release schedule of my
completely independent app dependent on some "master schedule".  I asked
about this on this list once, and the reply suggested that it was really
great to have someone else do this for you, and just a fact of life to
have to wait for your app to be translated into 50 other languages....

I guess I just tend to think that each application is an individual
entity, with its own rhythms of growth and so forth.  The tools out
there (apt, yum) for keeping up to date are absolutely fine for dealing
with a world of thousands of apps.  Wrapping them up in these
super-packages just seems silly.

But maybe I just don't "get it" in the KDE way of seeing things.  I have
to admit, I really don't like all those "K"s everywhere to begin with.
Repeated "K"s have bad connotations for most Americans....

Anyway, just wanted to say that there are some excellent applications
that pretty much get lost in the shuffle with this whole KDE packaging
scheme.  My vote, for what it's worth, would be for scrapping the whole
approach and letting each app shine (or not) on its own.