[kde-edu]: KDE Edu & KDE4

George Wright gwright at kde.org
Thu Aug 11 04:40:02 CEST 2005

Given that discussions are now raging for KDE4 and how KDE should change for
it, I would like to propose some changes for the KDE Edu module.

In my opinion, the module is far too big and confusing. The compressed tarball
for the module weighs in at a hefty 28MB; bigger than any of the other KDE
application modules, which is a bit ridiculous.

I did a quick check on the amount of space each application in the module is
taking (from the recently released 3.5 alpha tarball), giving the following:

848K    ./klatin
1.7M    ./khangman
752K    ./kpercentage
660K    ./libkdeedu
740K    ./kturtle
912K    ./keduca
3.1M    ./klettres
2.6M    ./ktouch
1.4M    ./kwordquiz
3.4M    ./kgeography
2.4M    ./kvoctrain
12M     ./doc
1.3M    ./kmplot
23M     ./kstars
3.9M    ./kig
6.7M    ./kiten
1008K   ./kmessedwords
936K    ./kverbos
3.8M    ./kalzium
564K    ./kbruch
73M     total

From this it is clear that KStars is the largest of all the applications. This
is because of its huge data files which total 16MB uncompressed. This, when
compressed using bzip2, takes up 5.6MB, which is about 20% of the
distribution tarball. This, in my opinion, is far too big to be shipped
within the module. Would it be better to provide the absolute minimal data
needed for very basic usage, then making the bulk of the data an optional
download at the user's request?

Then we come to the other applications. Many of them are inundated with large
graphics which take up lots of space. Are these really necessary within these
applications? Of course, converting the graphics to SVG will really help in
this scenario, but I fail to see the necessity of many of these graphics,
apart from to provide annoying and obstructing "eye-candy" for the user.

I feel that KDE Edu is trying to tackle too broad an audience, with its target
area being from pre-education (klettres, khangman) right the way through to
higher education (kalzium, kmplot). In addition, some of the applications fit
better into the gaming category than the educational one (such as khangman).
I feel it is necessary to reorganise the module and perhaps split it up into
kdekids/kdeedu which would reflect more accurately their contents.

We also have many applications which are far too specific; kbruch, kmplot and
kpercentage, for example, which should really be combined into a single
application - kmath or something. The same applies for some of the language
based programs.

The last thing is that many of the applications duplicate each other's
functionality. Take, for example, the issue of kvoctrain and kwordquiz. Both
have very similar functionality, but both coexist in the same module. Surely
it would be better for these two applications to merge and their development
teams work together instead of duplicating each others efforts?

--
George Wright, http://www.gwright.org.uk
KDE Developer - http://www.kde.org