[kde-edu]: KDE Edu & KDE4

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Aug 11 18:06:19 CEST 2005

On Thursday 11 August 2005 05:13, Noel Bush wrote:

> get globbed together in these huge bundles.  At times that I've had to
> deal with low bandwidth, it's basically kept me from staying up to date.
>   At times when I've wanted one particular app, and have been forced to
> download 15 others at the same time, it's been pretty annoying.

If you have low bandwidth you could use anonymous svn to download only those
parts of a module you are interested in _and_ update only changed files later
on.

Even if you usually download the whole module source tar-ball it might be
better just for the incremental updates.

> I guess I just tend to think that each application is an individual
> entity, with its own rhythms of growth and so forth.  The tools out
> there (apt, yum) for keeping up to date are absolutely fine for dealing
> with a world of thousands of apps.  Wrapping them up in these
> super-packages just seems silly.

I guess the super packages are there for people that want to have everything
possible.
Like collectors :)

Most normal users will very likely only install applications they need or
remove those they don't need.

> But maybe I just don't "get it" in the KDE way of seeing things.  I have
> to admit, I really don't like all those "K"s everywhere to begin with.
> Repeated "K"s have bad connotations for most Americans....

Sometimes it is really part of the word, like in Kalzium :)

Cheers,
Kevin