[kde-edu]: Fwd: kdeedu/keduca/keducabuilder

Marc Heyvaert marc_heyvaert at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 28 16:41:42 CEST 2004

Hello,

--- Anne-Marie Mahfouf <annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr> >
KEduca was very popular at the start of KDE-Edu. But
> it has not been
> maintained since then and thus people sent bug
> reports or wishes that were
> never fixed/coded.
> Having a new maintainer will help fixing things and
> probably will help moving
> towards a KEduca that people will need.

Just my vision for this kind of application :

One module consists of one or several units. One unit
consists of one or several exercises.

The program can work with one exercise, a unit or a
module. The exercise is the lowest building block and
they contain the actual questions. Units and modules
are just definition files combining several exercises
or units. This allows for a reuse of exercises and for
'à la carte' programs to cater for the individual
needs of pupils.

Every question is of multiple choice or 'fill in'
type. The decision is on the question level, so both
types can be mixed.

Questions have alsways a text part and optionally a
sound file and/or a picture.

Answers are multiple choice, probably we should impose
a sensible maximum of say 10. Multiple choice answers
can contain text, pictures or sound.

Every answer gets a number of points going from 0 (for
wrong answer to whatever for correct and in between).
A score is kept. Optionally you can also enter a name
when starting the program. When you quit 1 'last
good'-file is updated, so that when you restart the
programn, you can start again from this point; and if
the user name is entered there is also an update of
the user file. This user file should contain a history
of the modules/units/exercises covered (finished or
status), point obtained, etc.

Wheb a user logs on and he chooses a
module/unit/exercise he is always offered the option
to restart or to continue the exercise.

There are different modes. In order, random, repeating
all, repeating errors only, hints or no hints, time
restriction or not, etc.

In order to make coaching possible, a teacher, tutor,
etc should be able to define a 'learning program' or
'scenario' consisting of one or several
modules/units/exercises with the appropiate mode set
and possibly determining an order for the
modules/units/exercises, possibly with dependencies
(ex: unit 3 if unit 2 has been finished with at least
a score of 85%).

With all these possibilities statistics about progress
etc are an important issue.

Also an appropriate filestructure for all this should
be thought of. The concept is not so hard. The
question part is just text + optional picture +
optional sound. If there is a picture (file ref) the
program should display it. If there is a sound (file
ref) the program should play it + there have to be
controls to replay.

The answer part contains 10 entries. There is an
indicator to see if it is a multiple choice type of
answer or a 'type something yourself' type.

Every answer part contains an entry for text or
picture or sound and the points that you get for these
answers.

Well, I'll finish here, it's only a couple of ideas
really. It could perhaps be possible to remodel KEduca
into something like this, or perhaops it has to be
another application. Is the name KLearn already taken?
:)

The important thing IMO is the content, not that we
should provide every type of content for ourselves,
but good templates and examples so that people can see
for themselves what is possible and can modify
exinsting stuff AND a website with repository of
content is a must.

Regards

Marc

P.S. I'm only at page 30 or so of the C++ GUI
Programming with Qt3 book, so it's not something that
I can cook up in a couple of weeks, but perhaps in a
couple of months time the situation may be different.