[kde-edu]: KStars and KNewStuff

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Thu May 20 10:05:00 CEST 2004

Hello,

I am finally getting around to adding KNewStuff for KStars, but I am
having some trouble with it.  I have placed my 2 xml files and some
stuff to download at http://edu.kde.org/kstars/downloads/

At first, I did not subclass from KNewStuff, I just used the static
function KNS::DownloadDialog::open("kstars/data") in my Slot.  That
worked, but AFAICT, it can only save the downloaded stuff as a
temporary file, and then there's no way for KStars to access it
(because there's no notification of what the temporary filename is).

So then I followed what's done in KHangman, and subclassed my own
KSNewStuff class, providing a custom "install()" function (and an empty
createUploadFile() function).  My install function was cut-and-pasted
from khangman, except that, for now I just have the commands to unpack
the tarball into the user's $KDEHOME/share/apps/kstars directory.

It all compiled fine, but when I request the NewStuff dialog in KStars,
nothing happens.  I usually see the file-transfer dialog pop up for an
instant (long enough to see that it is transferring my providers.xml
file), but that's it.  The NewStuff dialog never appears, and there are
no error messages about it.

Is this a familiar situation to anybody?  Any ideas on how to diagnose
the problem further?

thanks for any help!
Jason
--