[kde-edu]: KStars and KNewStuff

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Thu May 20 16:16:19 CEST 2004

Bom dia,

Em Qui 20 Mai 2004 05:05, Jason Harris escreveu:
> At first, I did not subclass from KNewStuff, I just used the static
> function KNS::DownloadDialog::open("kstars/data") in my Slot.  That
> worked, but AFAICT, it can only save the downloaded stuff as a
> temporary file, and then there's no way for KStars to access it
> (because there's no notification of what the temporary filename is).

Yes, there is a way: as a post-installation command, setup a DCOP signal which
your app catches, with the filename as a parameter.

[KNewStuff]
InstallationCommand=dcop kstars newdatafile %f

Normally, subclassing should only be done if complex setups are needed.

> It all compiled fine, but when I request the NewStuff dialog in KStars,
> nothing happens.  I usually see the file-transfer dialog pop up for an
> instant (long enough to see that it is transferring my providers.xml
> file), but that's it.  The NewStuff dialog never appears, and there are
> no error messages about it.

Did you configure the right download server, i.e. point knewstuff to your
providers.xml file?

I just updated CVS and will try it out.

Josef