[kde-edu]: Help with UI design

Sebastian Stein seb_stein at gmx.de
Wed May 12 14:42:20 CEST 2004

Anne-Marie Mahfouf <annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr> [040512 14:21]:
> I don't think this fits in KBruch, I thought KBruch has to do with fractions.

Yes, but to calculate with fractions you need the ability to find the
smallest possible denominator of 2 terms. Normally you can do this by
finding the primefactors of the different denominators.

> KMathTool separates a number into its prime factors so the exercise you
> propose would better fit in there.

Yes, of course we would need a complete math tool, but we don't have it yet.
So I think a good way is to extend a given program step by step. I think
programs are allowed to evolve. For example in the beginnings Netscape was
just a web browser. Today it is a messaging suite with web, email, news,
html editor and so on.

> Plus I am not sure the age group targetted for KBruch tasks is able to
> separate 204 into its prime without a calculator.  What if the number is a
> prime itself in the range 300 -500?

It won't happen. It is easy to influence the generation of the number which
should be factorized. There could be different levels.

> Or you could add this sort of task but be sure they stay in the range of the
> student capability, transforming KBruch into a KMathTool for younger pupils.

That's what I'm thinking about for the future. It won't happen till KDE 3.3,
because during this release cycle I was working (and I am still working) on
my diploma thesis and had no time to do much for KDE at all. I also like to
integrate parts of kmathprof...

> <disgression>About the result feedback: I think that for KDE 4.0 we could
>  maybe design a common feedback based on KWordQuiz. </disgression>

I will have a look at it.

> About the change of terms in KBruch, I always expect it to be applied
> immediatly, and not to have to hit 'New Task'. Any reason for that?

Yes. You want to change the number of ratios and the max. denominator. In
this case 2 new tasks would be generated. And 2 tasks would be count as not
correctly solved.

> And would it be possible to add tooltips and QWhatsThis help for the buttons
> in the toolbar?

Yes. I will do this before KDE 3.3 string freeze.

Sebastian
--
ONE FAMILY! Leipzig 2012 - Olympic Summer Games
http://www.leipzig2012.com/