[kde-edu]: Help with UI design

Anne-Marie Mahfouf annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr
Wed May 12 14:15:34 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 12 May 2004 03:03, Sebastian Stein wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I want to add a new feature to KBruch. The user should separate a given
> number into prime factors. For example: 204 = 2 * 2 * 3 * 17
>
> I'm not sure how to design the interface to enter the numbers 2, 2, 3 and
> 17. I want the possibility to enter each prime factor on its own. And I
> don't want the user to enter the *. So any ideas how to design an easy to
> use interface for this task?
>
> Sebastian
Hi,

I don't think this fits in KBruch, I thought KBruch has to do with fractions.
KMathTool separates a number into its prime factors so the exercise you
propose would better fit in there. Plus I am not sure the age group targetted
for KBruch tasks is able to separate 204 into its prime without a calculator.
What if the number is a prime itself in the range 300 -500?
Besides KMathTool is waiting for people to improve it :)

Or you could add this sort of task but be sure they stay in the range of the
student capability, transforming KBruch into a KMathTool for younger pupils.
But the interface would be to be revised in depth, at the moment I don't
think it allows to switch tasks easily.

<disgression>About the result feedback: I think that for KDE 4.0 we could
 maybe design a common feedback based on KWordQuiz. </disgression>
About the change of terms in KBruch, I always expect it to be applied
immediatly, and not to have to hit 'New Task'. Any reason for that?
And would it be possible to add tooltips and QWhatsThis help for the buttons
in the toolbar?

Cheers,

annma