[kde-edu]: KVocTrain vs KWordQuiz -- vocabulary trainers in general

Daniel Klein bringa at gmx.at
Mon Mar 29 03:40:40 CEST 2004

Hello all,

I've read through the last month or two of archive and I've gotten the feeling
that there are things moving about KVocTrain... which would be a good thing
:P So first off: What's the status? I wrote to the maintainer some time ago,
I got a reaction like 'would you like to maintain it?'. Which I'd love to,
surely, had I the time or but a fraction of the knowledge needed.

Next, I'd like for someone to quickly explain to me the differences /
different missions of KVocTrain and KWordQuiz.. from what I could gather,
they're both meant for the same thing, yes?

Back to KVoctrain.. I'm using it extensively, but the version I have is
whatever came with KDE3.0. I've downloaded one CVS but for the love of christ
I haven't been able to compile it. I get flooded with a ton of errors and
wouldn't even know where to start looking for fixes. Is there something like
a 'latest stable' that I could get somewhere? I'm noticing a couple of bugs
that are actually critical, since they corrupt the loaded vocabulary.
Actually, I've only been able to reproduce one of them, but I'll try to
describe it best I can (if there's noone maintaining KVoctrain here or this
is already fixed or something, please ignore this)

When you have one field selected in Inline Editting mode and you select the
vocabulary list by anything, the currently selected field KEEPS its previous
content, thus corrupting the data.

Steps to reproduce:
Create a new vocabulary file. Two languages. Insert couples like 1 - one, 2 -
two, 3 - three, 4 - four. Click on two. Click on Sort by <first language -
the one with numbers> so that these get sorted descending. You now have the
following couples: 4 - four, 3 - two, 2 - two, 1 - one.

It took me a LONG time to spot this since it seemed like entries in my polish
vocabulary became randomly corrupted (and in some cases it even tricked me
into learning something COMPLETELY wrong :P The problem with learning a
language you have absolutely no means of associating words to words you know
for most of the cases). I would love to look around the code and play with it
and stuff, but I can't really get it to compile at all. If anyone here'd be
willing to try and help me compile the latest CVS, I'd be very happy and try
to hunt down this bug myself (I really don't do C, normally, and I'm sure I'd
fail badly if I had to do anything memory related. However, I program in a
number of high level languages and hence I think I got enough of a clue of
general programming practise that I'd be able to find that bug and maybe fix
it) (probably break something too while I'm at it, for good measure).

Thanks already for your help and clarifications,

Daniel