[kde-edu]: KMathtool

M2George m2george at mweb.co.za
Tue Jun 15 14:52:28 CEST 2004

Hello all.

I've sent this same e-mail to the KDE-Quality list and got a grand total of
zero response from it.
And considiring what usualy lurks there I've decided to drop that list
completely and try here.

I've been working on KMathTool recently but since my box has gone bang I've
been planning more than doing.
What I've been striving to, is to change KMathTool into a Maths tutoring
system similar to this, http://www.mastermaths.co.za/main/main.asp, ( but
because of contractual agreements not based on it)
which I use at work very effectively.

Herewith a very brief rundown of what I'm trying to achieve.

1.    Main Window that displays welcome and main categories (as icons) of
Math i.e.:
Algebra - Geometry - Trigonometry
        (Still in two minds as to what to do with calculus)
Learners will be registered on this window, to keep track of their progress
and to enable split sessions.

2.    Selecting a section will bring up another window with the subsections
of that field of Math. From this window selecting a subsection will start
the teaching module.

3.    Each teaching module will be split in two parts.
a)    Teaching theory - This part will emphasize theory and mathematical
laws using **voice and animation** - (In principle, if you know the theory,
the understanding will come) The option to print important theory notes will
be available.

 b)    Teaching application - This part will teach the application of Math
using **voice and graphics** supplemented with real world examples.
Throughout this part, examples will be linked to math tools to assist and
show proofs of the work being done,   i.e.: functions can be entered and
will be drawn, volumes, area, trig function and other calculation can be
done interactively.

4.    At the conclusion of each teaching module two exercise/test modules
will be available one at normal level and the other a challenge. These will
be a mixture of multiple choice and entered answers. Hints will be available
with incorrect answers.

**voice and animation**
I would appreciate any help with this. Voice is very important in teaching
Maths and the current system we use has about 13GB of audio and shockwave
animations, completely inappropriate for KDE. One option is
http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival/ ,this software is approaching
prime time and could be an option for voice in KMathTool.

The animation part is also proving difficult. It could be done internally in
QT but this will exclude non programmers from contributing content. Drawing
PNG's and then making MNG's will take to long. A search looking for a
shockwave replacement (open source/Linux) came up blank. Any pointers would
be welcome.

Any ideas, comments, guidance will be greatly appreciated.

PS
Anne-Marie have you had time to look at the KDE3.3 sources for me?

Kind Regards

Trenton