[kde-edu]: Flashcard and Vocabulary programs

Anne-Marie Mahfouf annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr
Fri Feb 6 04:33:24 CET 2004

On February 5, 2004 09:58 pm, Peter Hedlund wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As I mentioned on this mailinglist a few months ago I have started a new
> flashcard/vocabulary project called KWordQuiz
> (http://peterandlinda.com/kwordquiz). In my opinion the program is shaping
> up quite well. In cvs (SourceForge) I have improved .kvtml file support
> even more the last few days.
>
> In view of this I'm interested in a discussion regarding such programs
> within the kdeedu module. Now I think is a good time since 3.2 has been
> released. From what I can tell development has not been very active on
> either FlashKard or KVocTrain. I did see some amount of activity in
> KVocTrain development recently and hope that that will continue. I'm
> willing to pitch in also. As a starting point for me to learn all about
> KVocTrain I thought about converting it to a .ui and xml-based interface.
> What are your opinions on such an approach?

yes, the code is way too outdated!
porting it to xml and new things like maybe KConfigXT would allow you a deeper
understanding of KDE while doing something very useful.

As for your program to replace FlashKard, yes, I am all for it. Let's see what
Scott has to say about it (Scott is FlashKard author).
We are currently working on a new feature which is called KNewStuff, it's a
way for users to easily add data to their program. You have an Import menu
item in your program, you click on it, a dialog appears which proposes data
that the user in one click will obtain for his app.
This is already working in KOrganizer (you can add predefined calendars data
as the KDE realease schedule ;) and will be of great utility for us
(us=kdeedu). I think this will have its place both in your program and in
KVocTrain. Later, we will also add an upload facility for the user to share
its data by uploading it on a website.

So, practically, you will need cvs access for the kdeedu module to work on
KVocTrain. Please have a look at
ttp://edu.kde.org/development/cvs.php
this page and send me the relevant details.

You're right, now is the exact time to develop any idea, welcome to the team
and please feel free to ask any question on this list!

annma