[kde-edu]: Re: trading place for translations - for open source projects and schools

Eva Brucherseifer eva at kde.org
Wed Nov 19 14:48:02 CET 2003

On Mittwoch, 19. November 2003 12:53, Thomas Templin wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 November 2003 10:59, Eva Brucherseifer wrote:
> > I very much support this initiative. Very interesting stuff!
> >
> > We are very much in need of reviews and success stories of applications.
> > So what about this: Pupils can test applications and then write an
> > article in newspaper style and we publish it as a special program on our
> > webpages. I remember we did this type of writing in school...
> > The same yields for tutorials and task-oriented documentation. I think it
> > easily can be done by pupils. Examples: How to create business cards with
> > kword, howto setup a meeting using korganizer and kmail. This way we also
> > get valueable feedback from our users about more complex tasks.
>
> Eva, thats a mine field you step on. :o)
>
> All this needs a working GNU/Linux infrastructure.
> And at least one person who knows how to use this systems and aplications.
> And its a hard job to be the first one doing so... ;o)

Indeed ;-)

> Such kind of articles may be ok for a school bulletin motivating other
> pupils. But not for a professional newspaper.

Sorry for not being clear. I am not talking about articles for a real
newspaper, but about texts in newspaper-style.
My idea is to establish a series of articles within some project, e.g.
skole-linux, but also it can be kde.de or kde-edu. These articles would be
marked as youngster articles.

Here is an example of what the www-team of kde-de is doing:
http://kde.de/appmonth/
and follow the link "Kurzübersicht". They are also doing Interviews with the
developers.

> So in my eyes this is step two before step one, bringing GNU/Linux Systems
> into schools. And for this it's interesting to launch bigger projects.
>
> We will establish another skolelinux test and training center in
> Wilhelmshaven/Friesland. It will be the second one in Germany and the first
> one in lower saxony (Niedersachsen). After a first anouncement in a local
> newspaper on tuesday my phone drives me crazy. :o)

Well, I know there are schools already using Linux/KDE, but I have now idea
how many and how that can be extended or wether it's hopeless. That's where
you are the expert ;-)

Greetings,
eva