[kde-edu]: Re: trading place for translations - for open source projects and schools

Eva Brucherseifer eva at kde.org
Wed Nov 19 10:59:08 CET 2003

On Mittwoch, 19. November 2003 06:56, Arnold Kraschinski wrote:
> > > looking for translators on the one side and teachers/pupils/schools
> >
> > looki
> > ng
> >
> > > for real-world transaltion jobs on the other side? I believe it can be
> > > a good motivator to know that the work done will actually not be binned
> > > (after beeing read by the teacher) but be really useful.
> > >
> > > Does something like that already exist?
> >
> > Yes, but on a very, let me say unprofessional, base. Pingos and others
> > tried this in the past.
> > But you need to motivate teachers who will support such projects. And
> > beleve
> > me, motivating teachers is one of the hardest jobs one can imagine.
>
> I don't think that it is very difficult to motivate teachers. Have a good
> idea and they will listen. Translating software in English lessons is a bad
> one. It doesn't improve the communicativa abilities of the students. Such
> tasks need a lot of special vocabulary that doesn't fit to the aims of
> general education English lessons. The contents of a handbook normally
> isn't a motivating story. Only few pupils are addicted to open software so
> it is selfish to think that your own preferences are those of the pupils.

I very much support this initiative. Very interesting stuff!

We are very much in need of reviews and success stories of applications. So
what about this: Pupils can test applications and then write an article in
newspaper style and we publish it as a special program on our webpages. I
remember we did this type of writing in school...
The same yields for tutorials and task-oriented documentation. I think it
easily can be done by pupils. Examples: How to create business cards with
kword, howto setup a meeting using korganizer and kmail. This way we also get
valueable feedback from our users about more complex tasks.

Greetings,
eva