D23001: For the "kde4" branch: 08 - Update the synchronizer.docbook file because of the latest changes REVIEW: 124335

Nikita Melnichenko noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Aug 19 07:17:25 BST 2019

nmel added a comment.

  >> For example, you can fork krusader on github or other platform [...]. What do you think about this idea, Toni?
  >
  > I don't think people would find it, Nikita.

  Personally, I find a lot of useful packages and tools using a search engine every week and most of those searches land on github. How do you think a person is going to search whether kde4 version of krusader is getting updates? Will she likely go to a search engine and type something like "krusader kde4" where the mentioned repo will be in top positions due to good naming? Or she'll likely considering to find the official repo, clone it, look at commits and try to find where v2.4 ended it's life? Just ask yourself.

  >> In addition, commits we push to the official repo are reviewed and tested, and should be only pushed when approved by at least another dev and no objections from others (unfortunately, it's not enforced due to a weak infrastructure). It means someone needs to test the changes you propose in 10 code reviews. Personally, I have no interest in kde4 commits anymore [...]
  >
  > That is how it should be.  But someone stopping improvements "because I am not going to review it"? [...]

  It's a pity that you understand my words this way. I'm not stopping you here and, actually, I can't stop you and you know it. Anyone who has a permission to commit can update any branch in Krusader repo and many other KDE repos without even asking (this won't be a wise thing to do though). I was just sharing my thoughts and tried to reason what the right thing to do is. It's just an opinion and I truly didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I'd like to see what other devs think on the subject.

REPOSITORY
  R167 Krusader

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D23001