Some minor use of English

Steve Allewell steve.allewell at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 12:30:22 UTC 2018

On 17/03/18 09:13, Yuri Chornoivan wrote:
> субота, 17 березня 2018 р. 07:50:53 EET Leslie Satenstein написано:
>> I would like to distinguish between    using on and onto.
>>
>> I put a book onto the desk. The book is on the desk.
>> I put a shirt into the drawer. The shirt is in the drawer.
>>
>> Consider
>>
>> Installing Packages
>> Hundreds of developers worldwide have done a lot of work to make it easy to
>> install KDE *on* a variety of different devices and platforms.
>>
>> vs
>> Installing Packages
>> Hundreds of developers worldwide have done a lot of work to make it easy to
>> install KDE *onto* a variety of different devices and platforms.
>
> Hi,
>
> This is from Fundamentals manual:
>
> https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/applications/fundamentals/install.html
>
> Native speaker opinion needed.
>
> Thanks in advance for your comments (the original reporter is not in the list
> of subscribers, so please put the corresponding address into CC).
>
> Best regards,
> Yuri

Onto would be correct in this instance as it relates to the
movement/copying from one place to another, i.e. from the installation
media to the device.

On would be used in the context of where something already is. e.g. KDE
is installed on my computer.

Similarly with into and in.  I can place the install media into the DVD
drive vs the install media is in the DVD drive.

Regards

Steve