Some minor use of English

Jack Ostroff ostroffjh at aya.yale.edu
Sat Mar 17 14:54:15 UTC 2018

On 2018.03.17 05:13, Yuri Chornoivan wrote:
> субота, 17 березня 2018 р. 07:50:53 EET Leslie Satenstein написано:
> > I would like to distinguish between using on and onto.
> >
> > I put a book onto the desk. The book is on the desk.
> > I put a shirt into the drawer. The shirt is in the drawer.
> >
> > Consider
> >
> > Installing Packages
> > Hundreds of developers worldwide have done a lot of work to make it
> easy to install KDE *on* a variety of different devices and platforms.
> >
> > vs
> > Installing Packages
> > Hundreds of developers worldwide have done a lot of work to make it
> easy to install KDE *onto* a variety of different devices and
> platforms.
>
> Hi,
>
> This is from Fundamentals manual:
>
> https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/applications/fundamentals/install.html
>
> Native speaker opinion needed.
When I write or edit docs, my primary thought is that the intent be
clear to a non-native speaker, even before I worry about absolutely
correct grammar, word usage, or US vs. UK style.  (I do agree with the
change suggest here.)   Corrections of this sort are absolutely
welcome, but simply getting docs written and kept updated should take
priority.

> Thanks in advance for your comments (the original reporter is not in
> the list
> of subscribers, so please put the corresponding address into CC).
>
> Best regards,
> Yuri

Jack