kf5 book issues

Luigi Toscano luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
Thu Dec 8 23:02:49 UTC 2016

In data giovedì 8 dicembre 2016 13:44:36 CET, Valorie Zimmerman ha scritto:
> On Sat, Dec 3, 2016 at 11:34 AM, Walter Lapchynski <wxl at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > There's also the issue, as you can see, that font(s) are missing from TeX.
> > I couldn't find easy instructions on how to install these and it seems
> > the package manager (tlmgr) doesn't seem to be the right tool for the
> > job. I'm no expert in TeX but I know it's a huge can of worms. If there's
> > an easy way to do this using the the outdated 2015 version that's in the
> > Ubuntu repos, that would be fabulous.
> >
> > And another thing: why TeX? Sure, it works. I won't argue that. But it
> > seems a little much. I could envision Sphinx doing this far easier. Any
> > reason why not to consider that?
> >

> Fortunately, Walter hopped into #kde-books, and we talked about the
> issue. Aaron Honeycutt is interested in using Sphinx to produce html,
> epub and PDF versions of the book, and we discussed setting that as a
> GCi task. However that task description has not been finalized, so it
> has not been published.
>
> Let me emphasize the using Sphinx for this book is an experiment. If
> successful, we'll continue.

I would really appreciate if you could evaluate AsciiDoc as well. It is well
used (maybe with asciidoctor as processor instead of the original asciidoc)
and it is the system which I'd like to introduce at some point in KDocTools in
addition to DocBook. It has the advantage that we should be able to reuse most
of the infrastructure for translation and publishing (which may be not so
relevant at the beginning for technical books, even if there is always
interest for non-latin languages).

Ciao
--
Luigi