kf5 book issues

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 21:44:36 UTC 2016

Welcome to you, Walter.

On Sat, Dec 3, 2016 at 11:34 AM, Walter Lapchynski <wxl at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> First off, I'm a little new to this project, so I've kind of missed any old
> discussion. Sorry if I'm rehashing things.
>
> In any case, I grabbed the ePUB and tried to import it into my Google Books
> library but it failed because it was invalid. Checking with flightcrew-cli,
> I confirmed [it is replete with errors][1], even with a brand-spanking new,
> freshly built ePUB.

That's not cool. To be honest, I don't know how that epub was
produced, or by whom. Or if we have a component on bugs.kde.org.

> And then there's the other thing: building. Holy crow, are the build
> instructions lacking. I find that documentation contributors are often very
> good at writing, but perhaps not as well versed on how build systems work,
> let alone compiling. That said, I prepared some [additional instructions][2]
> which may be missing some gaps in terms of dependencies as I may have
> already had them installed.

I hope you will add to the build README.md.

> There's also the issue, as you can see, that font(s) are missing from TeX. I
> couldn't find easy instructions on how to install these and it seems the
> package manager (tlmgr) doesn't seem to be the right tool for the job. I'm
> no expert in TeX but I know it's a huge can of worms. If there's an easy way
> to do this using the the outdated 2015 version that's in the Ubuntu repos,
> that would be fabulous.
>
> And another thing: why TeX? Sure, it works. I won't argue that. But it seems
> a little much. I could envision Sphinx doing this far easier. Any reason why
> not to consider that?
>
> [1]: https://paste.ubuntu.com/23571443/
> [2]: https://paste.ubuntu.com/23574180/
>
> --
>        @wxl | polka.bike
> C563 CAC5 8BE1 2F22 A49D
> 68F6 8B57 A48B C4F2 051A

Fortunately, Walter hopped into #kde-books, and we talked about the
issue. Aaron Honeycutt is interested in using Sphinx to produce html,
epub and PDF versions of the book, and we discussed setting that as a
GCi task. However that task description has not been finalized, so it
has not been published.

Let me emphasize the using Sphinx for this book is an experiment. If
successful, we'll continue.

In addition, we may rescue the KDE Developer Guide from Flossmanuals,
where it currently sits in the archive section of the site,
http://archive.flossmanuals.net/kde-guide/. It's bit-rotting there,
and should be on KDE infra so we can more easily update it.

By the way, KDE-books now has a Phab todo board:
https://phabricator.kde.org/project/board/178/

All the best,

Valorie

--