kf5 book issues

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 23:32:46 UTC 2016

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 3:02 PM, Luigi Toscano <luigi.toscano at tiscali.it> wrote:
> In data giovedì 8 dicembre 2016 13:44:36 CET, Valorie Zimmerman ha scritto:
>> On Sat, Dec 3, 2016 at 11:34 AM, Walter Lapchynski <wxl at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> > There's also the issue, as you can see, that font(s) are missing from TeX.
>> > I couldn't find easy instructions on how to install these and it seems
>> > the package manager (tlmgr) doesn't seem to be the right tool for the
>> > job. I'm no expert in TeX but I know it's a huge can of worms. If there's
>> > an easy way to do this using the the outdated 2015 version that's in the
>> > Ubuntu repos, that would be fabulous.
>> >
>> > And another thing: why TeX? Sure, it works. I won't argue that. But it
>> > seems a little much. I could envision Sphinx doing this far easier. Any
>> > reason why not to consider that?
>> >

>> Fortunately, Walter hopped into #kde-books, and we talked about the
>> issue. Aaron Honeycutt is interested in using Sphinx to produce html,
>> epub and PDF versions of the book, and we discussed setting that as a
>> GCi task. However that task description has not been finalized, so it
>> has not been published.
>>
>> Let me emphasize the using Sphinx for this book is an experiment. If
>> successful, we'll continue.
>
> I would really appreciate if you could evaluate AsciiDoc as well. It is well
> used (maybe with asciidoctor as processor instead of the original asciidoc)
> and it is the system which I'd like to introduce at some point in KDocTools in
> addition to DocBook. It has the advantage that we should be able to reuse most
> of the infrastructure for translation and publishing (which may be not so
> relevant at the beginning for technical books, even if there is always
> interest for non-latin languages).
>
> Ciao
> --
> Luigi

Awesome idea, Luigi! Are you already signed up as a mentor for GCi? If
not, I think this would be a relatively painless way to test this out.
Write a nice task description, ask another person who knows something
about asciidoc or asciidoctor to help you mentor, and help a student
through one of the chapters.

If it is successful, you can write more tasks for more of the
chapters. If it doesn't work, at least we'll have tried.

If you are not yet a mentor, please join #kde-soc, the KDE-Soc-mentor
mail list, and tell me your google-connected email so I can invite you
to the webapp.

If you are not interested in mentoring, perhaps we can figure out
another way to test. By the way, #kde-books is the IRC channel.

Valorie

--
http://about.me/valoriez