kf5 book issues

Walter Lapchynski wxl at ubuntu.com
Sat Dec 3 19:34:36 UTC 2016

First off, I'm a little new to this project, so I've kind of missed any old
discussion. Sorry if I'm rehashing things.

In any case, I grabbed the ePUB and tried to import it into my Google Books
library but it failed because it was invalid. Checking with flightcrew-cli,
I confirmed [it is replete with errors][1], even with a brand-spanking new,
freshly built ePUB.

And then there's the other thing: building. Holy crow, are the build
instructions lacking. I find that documentation contributors are often very
good at writing, but perhaps not as well versed on how build systems work,
let alone compiling. That said, I prepared some [additional
instructions][2] which may be missing some gaps in terms of dependencies as
I may have already had them installed.

There's also the issue, as you can see, that font(s) are missing from TeX.
I couldn't find easy instructions on how to install these and it seems the
package manager (tlmgr) doesn't seem to be the right tool for the job. I'm
no expert in TeX but I know it's a huge can of worms. If there's an easy
way to do this using the the outdated 2015 version that's in the Ubuntu
repos, that would be fabulous.

And another thing: why TeX? Sure, it works. I won't argue that. But it
seems a little much. I could envision Sphinx doing this far easier. Any
reason why not to consider that?

[1]: https://paste.ubuntu.com/23571443/
​[2]: https://paste.ubuntu.com/23574180/​

--