[kde-doc-english] Loan documentation

Jack ostroffjh at frontier.com
Thu Jul 16 19:57:55 UTC 2015

On 2015.07.15 16:04, RW Wood wrote:
> Most of the documentation that I've had occasion to use for KMyMoney
> is very good, however the section for loans is very sparse. I have
> been trying for days to set up a mortgage loan for my house and am
> still without success. There may actually be a bug in the software
> since, if I try to set a beginning date prior to today's date, it
> isn't recognized and todays date is used. Apart from that, in
> stepping through the setup screens, it's uncertain what should be
> used for the various fields other than the loan term screen that
> calculates the payment or whatever field is left empty. Everything
> else is kind of nebulous.
>
> It would be good if there were a tutorial somewhere that walked the
> user through the various screens with instructions an what to put in
> them, or if there were more complete docs in the user manual, perhaps
> with context sensitive help for each screen. In the event that I'm
> able to figure this out, I'll try to put something together to submit.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard Wood

First, this is the list for KDE documentation writers; you are more
likely to get help at the KMyMoney Users' mailing list - so I've
included them. (https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kmymoney)  You
could also use the KMyMoney forum at
https://forum.kde.org/viewforum.php?f=69.

However, as I am responsible for the KMyMoney documentation, have you
read the manual
(https://docs.kde.org/stable4/en/extragear-office/kmymoney/index.html)
and found it insufficient?  I'd love to get specific suggestions for
improvement.  I do see there are no screen shots in the loan section of
the manual, and I will try to add some for the next release, as well as
reviewing the overall presentation.  By the way, which version are you
using (although I don't think there have been recent changes to loans)
and what platform are you using (although I don't think it should
matter)?

(Note the rest of my comments are from memory, I have not looked at the
loan schedule page in a while.)  There are two potential issues with
dates.  First, the program will not create any transaction with a date
prior to the opening date of the account.  I'm not sure if that is your
problem or not.  In addition, I'm not sure if it is possible to setup a
schedule starting in the past.  The load wizard should give you a way
to indicate previous payement amounts so it calculates the amounts
starting with the next payment.  If you really want to enter all the
details of a loan which started in the past, it is possible, but could
be a bit tricky.  I would start by setting it up as if it were starting
now, and we can discuss modifying it once you have done that (and I
have reviewed what it would actually take.)

There may also be responses from other readers of the KMM users mailing
list.

Jack