[kde-doc-english] checkXML vs meinproc4

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 01:00:44 UTC 2014

On Sat, Sep 6, 2014 at 3:16 PM, Jack <ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 2014.09.06 17:32, Luigi Toscano wrote:
>> - at my level of docbook knowledge, I'm not sure it's a problem of the
>> specification or of the rendering, but I bet the rendering. And I'm not sure
>> what is the best way to achieve the effect you want. Do you mean that the
>> additional lines are added on docs.kde.org, or On the rendered documentation
>> in khelpcenter? Is the reason for removing them an rendering one (i.e. it
>> looks "better")?
>
> I agree it is a rendering issue.  I see the lines both on docs.kde.org and
> in khelpcenter.  As an example, look at
> http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/extragear-office/kmymoney/firsttime.3.html.
> There is a line above and below every screenshot.  In some cases, I don't
> think it makes any difference, but in many cases, I feel it creates an
> unnecessary and undesired discontinuity in reading.  Yes, it's a personal
> opinion.  In many cases, I would probably leave them, but there are some
> cases where I find them very distracting.

These lines come from <hr> tags added by kde-style.xsl.  <hr> tags are
notoriously ugly as sin.  ;-)

I'd love to just get rid of them, but as you point out these seem to
have been added long ago to separate images from text because it can
get confusing.

So, maybe we could style them something like this instead?
http://i.imgur.com/HkAQDkz.png

-T.C.