[kde-doc-english] checkXML vs meinproc4

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 8 01:22:19 UTC 2014

On 2014.09.07 21:00, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 6, 2014 at 3:16 PM, Jack <ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > On 2014.09.06 17:32, Luigi Toscano wrote:
> >> - at my level of docbook knowledge, I'm not sure it's a problem of
> the
> >> specification or of the rendering, but I bet the rendering. And
> I'm not sure
> >> what is the best way to achieve the effect you want. Do you mean
> that the
> >> additional lines are added on docs.kde.org, or On the rendered
> documentation
> >> in khelpcenter? Is the reason for removing them an rendering one
> (i.e. it
> >> looks "better")?
> >
> > I agree it is a rendering issue.  I see the lines both on
> docs.kde.org and
> > in khelpcenter.  As an example, look at
> >
> http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/extragear-office/kmymoney/firsttime.3.html.
> > There is a line above and below every screenshot.  In some cases, I
> don't
> > think it makes any difference, but in many cases, I feel it creates
> an
> > unnecessary and undesired discontinuity in reading.  Yes, it's a
> personal
> > opinion.  In many cases, I would probably leave them, but there are
> some
> > cases where I find them very distracting.
>
> These lines come from <hr> tags added by kde-style.xsl.  <hr> tags are
> notoriously ugly as sin.  ;-)
>
> I'd love to just get rid of them, but as you point out these seem to
> have been added long ago to separate images from text because it can
> get confusing.
>
> So, maybe we could style them something like this instead?
> http://i.imgur.com/HkAQDkz.png

T.C.,

Thanks for pointing out where the lines actually come from.  However, I
think we now have several separate issues.

1) I would consider that type of outlined area an improvement over <hr>
for a true <screenshot> where it does make sense to set it the image
off from the text.  I would probably even leave that for most of the
images in the kmymoney manual.  Whether it is switched for all of kde
or made an option - could the choice end up being an attribute of the
<screenshot> tag?

2) However, for many images, I consider that they fit within the flow
of the text, thus my attempt to use some type of inline tag - avoiding
any boxes, lines, or other set-offs.  However, I do understand it
should be done in a way that does not burden the translation process
and teams.  Thus my previous question about isolating the image tags in
their own para with no other text components.

3) For the translations issue, since any sort of image tag (not
counting any caption or description type tags within it) does not need
translation.  If this is a reasonable statement, then what is the
process to request scripty (or whatever program or tool actually does
the work) be modified to not include them?

Jack