[kde-doc-english] Adding Unknown applications to MIME types

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Thu Aug 14 20:16:46 UTC 2014

написане Thu, 14 Aug 2014 20:23:48 +0300, Randy Kramer
<rhkramer at gmail.com>:

> I'm looking at the:
>
> File Associations
> Mike McBride <mpmcbride7 at yahoo.com>
> Revision KDE 4.8 (2011-11-28)
>
> help page.  It seems to give adequate instructions for adding a new
> application to a MIME type as long as it is a "known" application.
>
> How do I add an unknown application?
>
> For example: I installed kmplayer on my system and now want to use it
> as the preferred application for .flv (and many other) files.  It does
> not
> show up on the list of known applications.
>
> If I simply type in the name of the application (kmplayer, with or
> without the %U), when I click ok, nothing happens.
>
> There is no browse button on the popup that tells you to enter the
> application name or click the browse button.
>
> For kicks, I tried editing the VLC media player entry to have it use the
> kmplayer binary instead--it keeps switching the binary back to vlc.

Hi,

1. kmplayer should declare "video/x-flv" type in its MimeType entry in the
kmplayer.desktop file to be present in the list. You can add it manually
(the root priviledges needed).

2. You can just type the command "kmplayer -caption %c %i %U" (just like
in the desktop file) in the text field above the list.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Yuri