[kde-doc-english] Adding Unknown applications to MIME types

Randy Kramer rhkramer at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 17:23:48 UTC 2014

I'm looking at the:

File Associations
Mike McBride <mpmcbride7 at yahoo.com>
Revision KDE 4.8 (2011-11-28)

help page.  It seems to give adequate instructions for adding a new
application to a MIME type as long as it is a "known" application.

How do I add an unknown application?

For example: I installed kmplayer on my system and now want to use it
as the preferred application for .flv (and many other) files.  It does not
show up on the list of known applications.

If I simply type in the name of the application (kmplayer, with or
without the %U), when I click ok, nothing happens.

There is no browse button on the popup that tells you to enter the
application name or click the browse button.

For kicks, I tried editing the VLC media player entry to have it use the
kmplayer binary instead--it keeps switching the binary back to vlc.