[kde-doc-english] Rewrite of Documentation Primer

Burkhard Lück lueck at hube-lueck.de
Sun Mar 10 19:05:30 UTC 2013

Am Donnerstag, 7. März 2013, 09:33:01 schrieb Randall Wood:
> On 03/02/2013 10:09 PM, Randall Wood wrote:
> > On 02/28/2013 09:54 PM, Randall Wood wrote:
> >> I'm just writing to let everyone know I've begun work on this. I'll
> >> be merging those three docs into one, updating a bit, removing
> >> outdated references, and filling out the bits that weren't clear to
> >> me until I learned them elsewhere - especially now that we're mostly
> >> off SVN and mostly on GIT. I'll have a draft for everyone to review
> >> later in March.
>
> Question 4: Is there some authoritative source of current entities and
> acceptable XML tags?  Going through these old (2003, 2004) docs like the
> Primer and the Markup Guide, it seems a lot of XML tags have been used
> that are no longer legitimate and lead to question marks in the rendered
> text.
>
> <quote></quote> is one that comes to mind, but there are many others
> that in my PDF version of the Primer at least, didn't render correctly.
> If the DTD has changed I'll perhaps do a sweep and clean out these old
> tags so the docs look right.

Please do not clean out these tags, they are valid and should be used in our
docbooks.
The problem you reported is only about proper pdf generation of these tags.
Apparently the script used to generate the pdf's from the docbooks was simply
broken.

Our pdf generator guru Yuri managed to generate proper pdf's not only for
english, but also for many different languages for the pdf's we use on
docs.kde.org.

Thats why I'm confident he will handle this issue as well.

Thanks.

--
Burkhard Lück