[kde-doc-english] Rewrite of Documentation Primer

Luigi Toscano luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
Sun Mar 10 20:44:12 UTC 2013

Luigi Toscano wrote:
> Randall Wood wrote:
>> Question 4: Is there some authoritative source of current entities and
>> acceptable XML tags?  Going through these old (2003, 2004) docs like the
>> Primer and the Markup Guide, it seems a lot of XML tags have been used that
>> are no longer legitimate and lead to question marks in the rendered text.
>>
>> <quote></quote> is one that comes to mind, but there are many others that in
>> my PDF version of the Primer at least, didn't render correctly.  If the DTD
>> has changed I'll perhaps do a sweep and clean out these old tags so the docs
>> look right.
>
> That's strange, we still use <quote> in our KDE documentation (based on
> Docbook 4.2, and I don't think we added them). And afaik newer versions of
> Docbook 4.x should be backwards-compatible. Unless I'm missing something.
> Which version are they based on? (ok, I should check myself :)

So I checked the documents, they use our modified version of DocBook 4.2. You
can follow the standard specification for that version.
About the rendering issue, I was talking with Burkhard on IRC about this and:

[21:40:20] <blueck> tosky: this issue seems to be more about pdf generation
with a broken script years ago from docbook aources, and that will be solved
properly by our famous pdf generator guru yurchor like for all language issues
of pdfs on d.k.o

So don't look too much at the generated PDF :)

Ciao
--
Luigi