[kde-doc-english] Documentation Status and Todo's for 4.11

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 22:52:41 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 1:02 PM, Burkhard Lück <lueck at hube-lueck.de> wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 16. Juni 2013, 18:10:25 schrieb T.C. Hollingsworth:
>> Readding the list since others hopefully will have comments...
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 8:03 AM, Burkhard Lück <lueck at hube-lueck.de> wrote:
>> > Here a list of missing gui elements from the 3.5 visual dictionary -most
>> > of
>> > them covered by Claus' version on userbase:
>> > Button, Check Box, Color Selector, Combo Box, Context Menu, Dialog Box,
>> > Drop Down Box, Icon List, List Box, Progress Bar, Radio Button, Scrollbar
>> > or Scroll Bar?, Slider, Spin Box, Tab, Tabbed Window, Text Box
>>
>> I've filled in the dictionary part for all these missing items now,
>> except for Tabbed Window.  I'm not aware of any use of tabs that are
>> not in such a configuration, so it seemed rather redundant.
>>
>> I also decided to distinguish a Text Box (e.g. QLineEdit) from a Text
>> Area (e.g. QTextEdit) because IMHO there are enough differences in
>> appearance and behavior (e.g. what happens when you press Enter) to
>> warrant distinguishing the two.
>>
> Makes sense to me
>
>> Is everyone okay with these two modifications?  Is the draft [1]
>> missing any other widgets?  Please also have a look at the
>> descriptions and suggest any improvements, some of them came out a
>> little awkward and I'm not sure exactly how best to fix.
>>
> Some minor issues:
>
> * Reducing the width of the window leads to many line breaks in Description
> column of the table and make the text difficult to read. Could you make the
> Screenshot column  narrower ?

I'll try, there are a couple that could stand to be narrower.

> * Regarding the wording/spelling of the widgets (scrollbar vs scroll bar etc.)
> I have attached the file preferred_forms used on english.breakfast.org to check
> the docbooks and a statistic from stable (4,10) of all widget names and their
> spelling. Of course we should sync this spelling with ebn.

Excellent, I'll fix up the few that don't match that shortly.

> * Should we use the "The Plasma Desktop" section from
> http://userbase.kde.org/User:Claus_chr/Visual_Dictionary ?

IDK, Fundamentals really doesn't cover much Plasma stuff at all; we
leave that to the Plasma Handbook.  But we cover the window border and
such in Fundamentals already, which is also more desktop than
application, so maybe we should include it?

> Apart from that I am ok with your proposal.
>
> Thanks.

-T.C.