[kde-doc-english] A few basics for new documentation

Burkhard Lück lueck at hube-lueck.de
Sat Jan 26 09:12:30 UTC 2013

Am Freitag, 25. Januar 2013, 16:03:58 schrieb Randall Wood:
> Greetings - I'm looking for a few basics to get me started.  I've agreed to
> write up the documentation for Trojita (recently included in KDE) and
> thought in doing so, I'd learn enough about the KDE Docs
> team/packages/processes to be able to continue helping improve KDE
> documentation.  I'm a long-time KDE user and a published technical writer,
> so happy to help.
>
> I'm off to a bad start.  I found my way to the userbase wiki and the
> developer wiki, and downloaded both the KDE Documentation Primer and KDE
> DocBook Authors Guide.  Both seem woefully out of date (8-10 years),
> referring to old KDE3 processes and documents.
>
> 1. Just to get started:
> I can probably get going if I can find the document template and lists of
> entities.  I'm on openSUSE, and general.entities was found at
> /opt/kde3/share/apps/ksgmltools2/customization/entities/  Is this correct,
> or is there something newer?  Where would I find the kdelibs directory, or
> is this a relic of the old KDE Documentation Primer?

"opt/kde3" sounds really old, please use
https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kdelibs/repository/revisions/master/show/kdoctools

> 2. If I'm barking up the wrong tree, is there some better
> tutorial/primer/instruction page for willing contributers who understand
> XML/Docbook and are willing to invest the time to contribute docs?
> Otherwise, where should I go/who should I talk to in order to help with the
> bigger documentation picture?

Please mail to this list or use #kde-docs on irc.freenode.net

But before you start, one question:

Afaik Trojita is a Qt only application, so probably it does not have the
default KDE help action to open the documentation generated from docbooks in
users locale in KHelpcenter or via help ioslave?

How does the help system in Trojita work?

--
Burkhard Lück