[kde-doc-english] (no subject)

Joseph Thames beartham at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 14:09:08 UTC 2012

Why does this KDE4 version of Konsole not have search and history save
capabilities, like the KDE 3.5 version did? I have all these desktop Icons
in KDE3.5 that invoke, size, and color Konsole windows when invoked by
Icons. Am I going to have to rebuild them using Gnome Terminal?

Why in KDE4 can I not create desktop icon launchers when logged in as root?
I could do that in KDE 3.5, enabling me to configure the desktop of my
other user accounts.

Why is there no window-list applet in KDE4, like in KDE 3.5? You have a lot
of cute useless applets that nobody needs or wants, and the vital one for
many-desktop users in missing.

I don't understand why you guys think KDE4 is better than KDE 3.5, and you
can foist it on a user community with no backward compatibility? Its about
functionality not cosmetics. You have foisted all this pretty plasma
garbage on us but your functionality is marching backwards.

I have been using KDE for 15 years, on Suse, Fedora, Ubuntu, and Centos. I
first ran into KDE4 on Kubuntu 9.04, and found it bleeding-edge junk. So I
went to Centos 5.5 which came with KDE 3.5. Now I just opened a new VPS
with Centos 6.2, and you got me with your KDE4 junk again. Three years
later and still no  windows-list applet.

Is there any wonder that there are over 200 balkanized strains of Linux?
Here is the reason! All you creatively-addicted kids don't know when to
stop changing things because you don't have to live with the consequences.
Haven't you ever heard the adage: If it ain't broke don't fix it? You
should take the lesson of Emacs, which I started using in 1986. Now it has
become such an incomprehensible pile of shit, that it can only be used
carefully in GUI mode. I think its menus were written by aliens.

Nevertheless, I am still loyal to KDE, as I made the jump from Gnome when I
moved from Unix to Linux long ago. So help me please!

--
Joseph 'Bear' Thames
MetaCalculus, LLC and Meta Science Foundation
beartham at gmail.com