[kde-doc-english] KDE4 : I don't understand the reason...

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed May 12 17:57:29 CEST 2010

On Wednesday 12 May 2010 14:23:10 Georges Louge wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   At first, I hope my English is understandable : I am french, 80 years
> old, and I learned english a long time ago in the north of occupied France
> during War World II... Moreover, I use Linux since 1997 (RedHat Powertools
> 4.1 !).

Hi, Georges.  Your English is much better than my French ;-)

>   I notice with pleasure that the new KDE programmers have excellent ideas,
> but sometimes I regret very strange initiatives.
>
>   For exemple, a few days ago, it was possible to show different time zones
> without any click, just when the mouse pointer was on the hour indication
> of the panel. It was very simple and useful. But today, after an update,
> that interesting possibility (and a few other ones) vanished without any
> explanation.
>   Why that ???

If you right-click on the digital clock in the panel, and call up the digital
clock settings, you can select any time-zones that you are interested in.
Once you've done that, hovering over the clock will display them.

>  Another exemple : at the address :
>    /usr/share/kde4/apps/libkholidays
> there are, for different countries, near 60 holiday files which are used by
> "korganizer". Many years ago, I discovered them by myself and I modified
> these files for my own purpose : I found it very useful to remember
> personnal or general anniversaries in "korganizer". A few days ago, it was
> also possible to display them on the panel, just by pointing the mouse
> (without clicking) on the dates surrounded in red.
>   To day, it's no more possible. Why ???

This I don't quite understand.  Would it be possible for you to do a
screenshot with a comment or arrow superimposed showing us what you want to
achieve?  I don't recall ever seeing something like your description, but it
may be that I'm misunderstanding.

>   I noticed some other regrettable decisions of that kind. Why ???
>
>   Thank you for your patient attention !

In some cases there are features that are not yet complete or stable enough
for release, but in many cases the features are reached by slightly different
means.  May I suggest that you join the KDE users list
(https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-linux) where you could bring your
'missing features' for us to try to help you?

(The korganizer question with screenshot could also be asked there, although
there is another mailing list for kdepim (kontact) users at
https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kdepim-users .  You would find it useful
to be subscribed to both lists.

Anne
--